Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jimmy Elledge - Funny How Time Slips Away


I posted the Brooke Benton version of this tune just a little while ago and said then that this is my fave version of the Willie Nelson penned classic but i couldn't find my 45 of it. Well, i found it and here it is. Its a bit worn and played but man it is a good song.

As for Mr. Elledge:

Jimmy Elledge (born January 8, 1943, Nashville, Tennessee) is an American country musician.

Elledge sent a demo tape to Chet Atkins when he was 18 years old, which resulted in a recording contract with RCA Victor. His first recording for the label was "Funny How Time Slips Away", which was written by Willie Nelson and produced by Atkins. The song became a hit, peaking at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1961, and sold over one million copies. Elledge recorded for Hickory Records later in the 1960s but never had another hit.

Funny thing is that when i first heard this song i thought for sure that Jimmy was black because the voice is just so soulful on this cut. I had no idea he was a white country singer. Go figure.

Jimmy Elledge - Funny How Time Slips Away

8 comments:

Your driver said...

Very nice. It's a shame that most people think of "On The Road Again" when they think of Willie. A lot of people who know some of his classic songs don't even know he wrote them. Soulful performance of a soulful song.

Holly said...

That's a friggin' brilliant version. Thank you VERY much for sharing!

oro said...

Hello Devil's Music,
I just became a member of your great blog. I also look towards new members so check out my blog:

www.orogod.blogspot.com

Best regards,
Oro

unitstructure said...

Good stuff! Around the same time period there was a version of fhtsa by Joe Hinton,an r'n'b vocalist. Have you heard it.

Devil Dick said...

i have now! thanks!

http://youtu.be/9mA-6hHvZgc

Shelby said...

I always liked Johnny Tillotson's version from a few years later.

philo said...

I too always thought of this as the best version.

Unknown said...

I knew Jimmy and spent quite a bit of one on one time with him. He was a very talented loving man with a great voice that echoed his painful soul. One if my most treasured music tapes was one he gave me. One day he sat down at his piano and started playing with his tape recorder on when he was done he gave it to me. It was sad that he allowed his personal life to thwart his musical career. I was very sad when I heard he died.