Friday, November 6, 2009

The Phil Bernardi Band - I Like Jersey Best


it's true...

this stupid ass devil has been all over the world and i have seen a lot of places, and while lots of stuff was pretty amazing, i've always liked coming back to Jersey.
I guess that is because NJ is my home. And while i get get pretty damn sick of the traffic, the cops, the jerk offs, the Bennie's in the summer, the tolls, the jug handles, and well, a ton of other crap i mostly love this cesspool of filth and grime... And while this tune isn't exactly my cup per se, this has a real "Uncle Floyd" vibe going on, I'm sure it had to have been played on his show at some point? Anyone from Jersey will know what I'm talking about with that reference. And anyone who loves the garbage state enough to write and sing a song about her can't be all that bad...

The song was written by Joe Cosgriff and this is the 1st version done by Phil Bernardi. John Pizzarelli would later do it. The Song was actually introduced into legistration in 1981 to have the song named the New Jersey state song. The song passed the Assembly but failed in the Senate when some State Senators realized that much of the song was "Irreverent." To this day NJ is the only state without an official state song! (thank god this didn't make it!)

The Phil Bernardi Band - I Like Jersey Best

2 comments:

Your driver said...

No comments? Somebody's gotta say something. I never miss Jersey, but I like local patriots. I really like Uncle Floyd and yes, he is all about the best of Jersey. I always thought that Born To Run was the state song of New Jersey. Seriously.

Devil Dick said...

yeah, sometimes i really wonder why i love jersey so much but the fact of the matter is i do!

and thank gawd the boss is NOT our state song... nice enough guy but his music (most of it) is not my thang...