Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Triumphs - Burnt Biscuits - Raw Dough




Thursday when the old devil here sits down w/ the family and gives thanks, chances are that when my me mum breaks out my Nana's (RIP) family biscuit recipe and gets to cookin' what were going to end up with is a little bit of burnt biscuits and or raw dough. The A is for effort and they are made with love so I'll shovel them down my gullet gladly and wash 'em down with a sudsy mug or 10...

Anyway in honor of my Mommy dearest and my Nana, whose biscuit recipe when followed properly is really stellar and as a way to give thanks, I share with you The Triumphs with 2 GREAT funky instrumental soul sides from 1961, Burnt Biscuits & Raw Dough!

This 45 is the first Volt single, produced by Chips Moman, whose influence was capital at the beginning of Satellite/Stax. The Triumphs included Howard Grimes on drums, Marvell Thomas on keyboards, Lewis Steinberg on bass and Chips Moman on guitar. Apparently named after Chip Moman's car this is the one and only single by the 1st interracial group from Memphis. There is a nice little section on them in the Soulville U.S.A book, if you care to read up any further... Oh yeah, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

The Triumphs - Burnt Biscuits
The Triumphs - Raw Dough

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dick!

Todd Lucas said...

This is one of those records that just keeps evading me.

Brian Marshall said...

I've got it. I've heard that this is actually Booker T. and the MGs (indeed, "Burnt Biscuits" is on a box set of Booker T that I once owned), but I could be wrong.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving, Devil Dick.

Donna Lethal said...

Burnt Biscuits and Raw Dough brought to you by Chips! I give thanks for Devil Dick!

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled into your blog. Great variety of rare material. I saw a trck by the Hollywood Flames. That reminded me. Do you have their riff on Liz Taylor from then 50's called,"Elizabeth.?" Great novelty tune.

Devil Dick said...

hey folks many thanks for ur continued support! i hope u all had a happy thanksgiving? anonymos, i do know that tune but i don't own it....

:(

on a brighter note i got up today post turkey day hangover and went out and boughht piles of cheap 45's, 78's & lp's!!!

sometimes its just great to be alive!

Anonymous said...

hello


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

helpful post.

Steve said...

Some of the performers are the same on the later MGs version but the songwriter, Chips Moman, plays harmonica on the original Triumphs version.