Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hubert Sumlin Live @ The Brighton Bar 4/11/08


Hubert & Howlin' Wolf

What a night last night!

The JJB and I met up with DJ Prestige for some Fantastic Vegan food at Sister Sue's in Asbury Park. If your ever around the area I HIGHLY recommend the Vegan Jerked Chicken and plantains!!! Wicked Good. We tried to talk Pres into going up to the Brighton w/ us but no dice.

DJ Jack The Ripper was gigging at the Brickwall in Asbury and we had every intention of going back over there after we went and saw Hubert Sumlin at the Brighton Bar in Long Branch because Hubert was playing early but alas many blues numbers and many beers later it just didn't pan out so my apologies to Pres & the ripper for not making it back down to asbury but I'm sure they were understand as we were in the presence of a true legend Hubert Sumlin!

In Case you don't know Hubert was a member of Howlin Wolf's band for over 2 decades and was cited by Rolling Stone Magazine as one of the top 100 guitarist of all time and is a member of the Blues Hall of Fame!

His often imitated but never duplicated guitar playing can be heard on such Howlin' Wolf songs as Built for Comfort, Shake for Me, 300 Pounds of Joy, Goin' Down Slow, Wand Dang Doodle and of course Killing Floor.

Just hearing him do "Killing Floor" was enough for me. I mean here was Howlin Wolf's guitar player, a 76 year old veteran of the blues wailing away, strutting and just busting it out. It was pretty special. I'm I am glad you got the chance to see him play.

I don't do this too often but i approached him after the gig and told him thank you for that. and told him how special i thought it was. He shook my hand and grabbed my shoulder and said this. "Did you feel it?" I know I did and it sure was special wasn't it? Indeed it was, indeed it was...

Blues: Hubert Sumlin, Life Lessons and Guitar Lessons


Hubert Sumlin, Robert Cray & Jimmie Vaughan -- Killing Floor

1 comment:

Suzy Norman said...

I love great blues!

Great you love Thee Hypnotics. Are they known much in New Jersey at all? Did you see them live?